Saturday, November 17, 2007

Back In Switzerland

As our time in Ireland wound down, my mind began to return to the fact that I had 3 weeks to finish an Independent Research Project, which consists of 30 hours of interactive research (interviews and visiting International Organization), a 30 page paper, and a 30 minute presentation in front of my peers, Academic Directors and (supposedly) a ‘bus’ of faculty from the School for International Training. Must have been the luck of the Irish because, for me, it is all due on November 30. I hate to bore, but for those of you who might be interested, my project is focused on climate change and adaptation; capacity building in LDCs (Least Developed Countries), specifically Uganda and East Africa. I know that it must just sound riveting; however, I should add that I choose this topic and it is more interesting than it sounds. I won’t go any further than that, but if you want to know more, just ask me about it when I return. I’ve spent the last week traveling to Geneva, researching, reading, and frantically trying to reach and visit experts at organizations like the United Nations Development Program, International Institute for Sustainable Development, OXFAM, UNCTAD, the South Centre, and next week I’ll probably do the same thing all over again (hopefully going to speak with someone at the UN Mission to Uganda, not the religious kind). Let’s just say that the nervous breakdown has been a slow boil. (Teachers, feel free to use this as ammunition to your students experiencing Christmas fever).

On the bright side, the night I returned, it snowed in Prengins bringing dreams of powder and freedom. In addition, last night, one of the guys from the soccer team saw me on the bus and said that they were still training indoors at the school in Prengins and that he would call me with details. When I came home, Anita was making fondue to warm our frozen stomachs and had me cut up the bread. Just another example of how simple things like sitting down for dinner with your family or another family, having a glass of white wine (or not), can make the mountain of burdens and frustrations on your back seem light as a feather.

Once again, I miss and love you all and hope to hear from you and/or see you soon.

Peace, love, and don’t think it hasn’t been charming,

Max

4 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Honey...Dad and I just read your latest posts....we loved every word of it and the photos too. Sometimes I worry about you...you do whine a little to me, but after reading this I just think you are incredible. You are really embracing this whole experience...not just the traveling, but everything. I'm so glad that you have a great family to feed you fondue and just be there for you. Just stick with it, the academic part will be over soon and you can get back to the fun stuff. Try not to get frustrated and don't procrastinate!
I love you, MOM XXXOOOXXXOOOXXX

Mom said...

dad speaking on mom's comment...josh, mom read today's entry to me as I kneeled next to her chair. I am counting on years to come when your experiences ooze into our lives with your words and actions.

Oh, I shot a 76 today. My lowest round ever. And...I bogeyed the last three holes. Imagine that. I love you. Dad

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

...our dad is a huge dork. he only wrote on your blog to tell you that he shot a 76. i don't know if they told you but they are coming to visit next month. hopefully dad wears more sunscreen than last time. cool cool. miss you bro. next time i want a vid of you talking french the whole time. chick magnet